You see, very recently a dear friend was killed in a car accident. Her
name was Annie. In reality, she was so much more than a friend. I was
head-over-heels in love with her. We’d been dating for almost a year and she
was a very special person in my life.
As a single father of four amazing kids, it had been difficult to date again. After a failed marriage of almost fifteen years which ended in a cloud of betrayal, my self-worth was non-existent. My life had been turned upside down in a flash and my situation had gone from what I’d always wanted, to flat-out depressing. Without going into a pitty party, let’s just say I was at the lowest I’ve ever been in my life.
As a single father of four amazing kids, it had been difficult to date again. After a failed marriage of almost fifteen years which ended in a cloud of betrayal, my self-worth was non-existent. My life had been turned upside down in a flash and my situation had gone from what I’d always wanted, to flat-out depressing. Without going into a pitty party, let’s just say I was at the lowest I’ve ever been in my life.
Picture courtesy of J K Broadwell
A long year later, I met Annie. She was full of life, a perfect
balance of fun and reality, and a person who made everything better just with
her presence. She was someone who told you what she thought and didn’t
sugarcoat anything, yet had an unbelievable ability to make you feel as though
you were the most important person in the entire world. She was beautiful
inside and out and I instantly fell in love with her.
In time, she was introduced to my children. They also fell
prey to her infectious personality and almost overnight, she became an
incredibly important person to them as well. She was at any and all sporting
events, dance competitions or recitals and loved them unconditionally. Annie
was the kind of person who made you feel special on an everyday basis, always
doing the little things to make sure you knew how much she loved you.
Picture courtesy of J K Broadwell
I could go on and on about the kind of person Annie was but I’d
never be able to do her justice. No, she wasn’t perfect but she was pretty darn
close. An example of her unselfishness was one of her final acts
here on earth. Two days before her death, she excitedly told me that she’d just
made arrangements to pay a large percentage of a church mission for a young man who wanted to go
but couldn’t afford it. It was a lot of money but she was so thrilled to pay
for something she believed in so much. Annie was the happiest when she was serving
others.
And then there was yesterday. See, my birthday was three days ago. Well, yesterday when I got home, I found a package on my doorstep. The name on it was Annie though the address was mine. When I opened it, I found that it was a birthday present she'd ordered for me weeks ago. It was an Atlanta Falcons t-shirt (my favorite football team). There was also a personalized message on the shipping slip that said, "Hey Babe, I know you'd never actually buy anything for yourself so I have to do it for you. Just say thanks and enjoy. Happy Birthday. Love you always, Annie." Of course, this was an extremely emotional experience that I won't go into detail about. I will say that it was precious to me. Annie had mentioned a few weeks prior that she'd bought something for me but I'd forgotten all about it after her death.
Receiving that package was a bitter sweet experience. Annie's gone and she still found a way to make me feel loved. Yesterday was a reminder of the beautiful person who is no longer in my life, however I wouldn't trade it for anything. Leave it to Annie to find a way to comfort me and make me smile even after her death.
I don’t know why she was taken from this world but I take
comfort in the knowledge that I’ll see her again. I believe she was put into my
life and the lives of my children at the time when we needed her most. Yes, I
wish things had ended differently. I wish she was still a phone call away. I
wish I could still kiss her and wrap my arms around her. I miss her insights
and advice (Lord knows, I need them). Annie was wise beyond her years and always
offered a completely different perspective from my own (yes, she was usually
right).
Photo courtesy of J K Broadwell
Receiving that package was a bitter sweet experience. Annie's gone and she still found a way to make me feel loved. Yesterday was a reminder of the beautiful person who is no longer in my life, however I wouldn't trade it for anything. Leave it to Annie to find a way to comfort me and make me smile even after her death.
I’m sure many of you have known people that you felt were
placed in your life at precisely the right time. Hopefully, they weren’t taken
away from you. Perhaps they either faded when they were no longer needed, or better
yet, maybe they’re still in your life. I’d love to hear about those special
people in your life and how they affected it.
Have you ever had someone love and accept you unconditionally? Ever had a person in your life who had complete faith and confidence in you? Someone who made you feel as though you could do anything just by looking at you? If so then you've had your own personal "Annie" in your life. If you'd like, please tell me about them. People like that need to be shared.
I do know I’m a better person for having known Annie. She restored my
belief in many things including myself. She made me a better father and friend
and allowed me to love again. I’ll always be grateful to her and to the Lord
for blessing my life with her, even if it was only for a short time. Have you ever had someone love and accept you unconditionally? Ever had a person in your life who had complete faith and confidence in you? Someone who made you feel as though you could do anything just by looking at you? If so then you've had your own personal "Annie" in your life. If you'd like, please tell me about them. People like that need to be shared.
Annie will be missed by many, but my children and I will
always have a special place in our hearts for her.

Picture courtesy of J K Broadwell
In the immortal words of Forrest Gump, “That’s all I have to
say about that.”



Wow, thanks for sharing these thoughts. That's really incredible.
ReplyDeleteThank you Spencer. You of all people know how special your sister was and I hope you know what she meant to me and my kids.
ReplyDeleteThis was very sweet to read. I hope that you and your little ones are hanging in there. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings. I am so jealous you got a package from her, she always was so thoughtful.
ReplyDeleteYes Rachel, Annie was great at spoiling me. One of her greatest qualities was service and doing things for others. I hope you guys are doing well.
DeleteThis is an amazing tribute, JK. Annie sounds like an incredible person and you sound very blessed for knowing her. May you find comfort in the love you shared and courage to continue forward knowing that you are worthy and that she would have wanted that for you.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your heart.
Thank you so much Stanalei for your beautiful words. You should be a writer ;) Seriously though, I appreciate your thoughts.
DeleteI once had someone once ask me if I was an "Earth Angel." Of course being me, claimed the title only if it came from the dark side. But as life has moved forward at a high rate of speed, I've come to learn that "Earth Angels" really do exist. They show up unexpectedly and sometimes just for that one moment when we need an extra little something to push on. I also don't believe they're ours to keep, but more so to let go of, or "share" so to speak, so someone else who needs them in their life can have the same wonderful experience. Annie sounds like she was yours. And you, dear friend, are someone else's even if you're not aware. You touch someone's life every day in some way. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteI think you're definitely right about Annie being my Angel. You have an amazing gift and have touched many lives yourself Harley. Thank you for sharing you talents with the world. And thanks for your kind words.
Deletethis was beautiful~ thank you for sharing this, with us all. What an awesome gift to recieve after her passing to remind you that she is still very much with you. Peace and light to you and your family~
ReplyDeleteLisa jean
Thank you Lisa Jean.
Delete